Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Because somebody had to do it

Once a math nerd, always a math nerd.

I don't know if any of you went through the back of the memory book from our recent reunion to figure out where members of the Class of '67 are living.

But I did.

There were 498 addresses listed for members of our class, and amazingly, only one of them was outside the United States. Lauren Koskella, come on down! Or come on up from your home in Mexico.

As might be expected, there are more Cavaliers living in Virginia than anywhere else -- 247 of us, just below 50 percent. It didn't surprise me that 39 live in Florida and 23 live in Maryland, the next two largest contingents.

Actually, the first states that made me wonder were the four in Indiana and Idaho. I've been to both of those places. Three in Kansas was boosted by the Abrahamsons in Lawrence, but someone else also chose the state that stretches almost forever from east to west if you're driving from St. Louis to Denver.

Not that I want to put down anybody's home state. I myself live in the state that was compared to a bar of granola (get rid of the flakes and all you have are fruits and nuts), along with 17 other classmates.

Surprisingly, there are six states where none of us live -- Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Mississippi, North Dakota and South Dakota. Of course there are 300 of us unaccounted for; maybe they're all hanging out in Biloxi or Fargo.

If I've learned one thing in 40 years, it's that this is a hell of a big country.

1 comment:

Dale Morgan said...

Their new addresses were not obtained in time to get in the Memory Book, but Tom Jones now lives in Switzerland and Mike Latimer in Thailand. I may think of more.
Dale